Soaring Jessica Soho - diverted cyberlife of a political life planner

Friday, March 07, 2008

Soaring Jessica Soho

An inspirational interview about Jessica Soho's life, from Political Science (aspiring lawyer) to Journalist job.

That's why I idolized her very much, I really love Jessica Soho.


Soaring Soho
posted on March 16, 2005
at Sun Star Cebu


Aurelia Castro gives us a glimpse into why a 'hindi nagsusuklay' became a phenomenal TV success.

Her story of a hostage crisis in Cagayan Valley made her the first Filipino to win in the New York Film Festival for Coverage of a Breaking Story. Her documentaries of the "Kidney for Sale" business and "Kamao" death sport put her in a higher pedestal being, again, the first Filipino, with GMA 7 as the first Filipino network to win the coveted George Foster Peabody Award.

A Ka Doroy Valencia awardee, Jessica Soho was also one of the 100 Filipino Women of Distinction chosen during the centennial celebration of our country. Those are just but some of the awards she reaped for excellence in journalism. Known for her credibility and unwavering commitment to opening people's eyes to reality and encouraging change through her job as a journalist, she is like no other.

But did you know that Jessica Soho never wanted to be a journalist?

Here is an account that proves that even in one's unwanted choices in life, one can still discover and give the best.

You hated Math subjects - that's why you took up Journalism, but you wanted to be a lawyer?

I really did not plan on becoming a journalist. It was a last-minute decision to shift to Journalism (from Political Science) and only because it was the first course I saw with only one required Math subject. Political Science had four Math subjects!!!

But one of your teachers, the late Luis Beltran made you fall in love with Journalism. Is that where you began your journey as a journalist?

Oh yes, Mang Louie fascinated our class with stories about his journalistic exploits but even then, I did not entertain the thought of becoming a journalist. I was really intent on becoming a lawyer. Elementary pa lang kasi ako, I got hooked on Perry Mason books. Until now, I still have regrets of not becoming a lawyer especially when I'm in the company of lawyers at naiinggit ako na they're so logical and methodical pag nag-iisip.

How come you ended up in broadcast journalism instead in print? You said you weren't so particular about your appearance ("hindi ako nagsusuklay":-)), and that you have a weight problem. Hindi ikaw 'yung typical na host na nakikita natin sa TV - but still, people watch you and love you.

People must have found me cute? (joke). Seriously, parang the thought of getting into print media did not appeal to me at that time kasi ang layo ng mga opisina ng mga diario ---sa Port Area sa Manila. (ang babaw ng sagot, no?)
Again, at that time kasi, I was just plainly looking for a job. Wala naman talaga akong planong maging journalist. I just needed a job before going to law school. Nagkataon naman na may vacant position for a reporter pala sa GMA News because may crew na walang reporter.

Journalism is really all about telling stories. I guess basta magaling kang magkuwento kahit ano pa ang hitsura mo, people will listen. But of course I have learned through the years (dahil madalas din akong mapagsabihan ng mga superiors ko noon) that it wouldn't hurt if you try and look your best, because TV is a visual medium.

I just count myself lucky that despite how I looked then, people appreciated my stories. Someone once said that I looked so simple and plain, viewers readily identified with me.

A cameraman of mine once said "mukha lang daw akong pinabili ng suka tapos naging reporter na".

You're a producer, writer, host, reporter, etc. Is there anything else that you do aside from work? How do you unwind?

Sleep is a luxury for me. During weekends, I try to catch up on sleep. My waking hours (on weekends, that is) are devoted mostly to reading- anything I can lay my hands on---magazines, books, journals. On a daily basis, I try to read all the newspapers- broadsheets and tabloids alike.

A perfect vacation for me would be going to the beach. My favorite? Amanpulo in Palawan and Isla Naburot in Iloilo. I've been to Shangrila Mactan twice and I intend to visit Bantayan Island soon.

Anything memorable that happened on your visit here in Cebu for the Kapusong Cebuano Weekend?

It was surreal. Going up the escalator of SM with people calling out to me---I felt like I was Julia Roberts (naks) kasi we even had bodyguards and "hawi" boys.

We are so happy with the reception we got but really, the celebrity part of my job is something I have not become so comfortable with. I know it's part of the job and it comes with being on TV but basically, I still think of myself as a journalist.

In your 20 years of work as a journalist, was there a time you thought of giving up and pursue other career instead?

I experience "burnouts" every now and then. In the wee hours of the morning when I find myself still in my desk in the office, re-writing scripts or on weekends when I have to be at work, I still question why I am in this demanding, consuming job. I always whine and complain that I don't have a life. But really, life's been good. And with all the dangers and risks that I have somehow survived I realize that it's good to be alive. I do have the best job in the whole world. Being at the front seat of history is a privilege.

Any advice for aspiring journalists and media practitioners?

This job is not for the fainthearted. If you want to get rich, quick---look elsewhere. Be prepared to work really hard. There really is no secret formula to making it. Just plain and simple hard work. Be ready to lose your life, literally and figuratively.

Funniest mistake you've ever done as a journalist.

A number of mistakes, actually. I was reading the news, live, and I said take 2. Nawala sa isip ko na live nga pala ako. :-) While doing an interview at the PMA grounds in Baguio, natabunan ako ng parachute noong nag-land yung parachutist. While interviewing then AFP Chief of Staff Renato de Villa, I asked if there was a shoot-to-order kill against a suspect and De Villa corrected me by saying "Jessica, you mean a shoot-to-kill order?"

What makes you smile, Jessica?

People who know me know that I can be a riot. But at work, I'm usually a very serious person. I don't like horsing around especially when there's a lot of work to do. But off work, I like swapping stories. I love traveling. The thought of going places (on vacation) gives me a natural high. I adore my nieces and their antics. They make me smile and laugh.

How do you feel about your local and international awards? Anything more you want to fulfill?

I don't display my awards. Looking at them stresses me out so I keep them in my storeroom, out of my sight. My rule in life: never take myself seriously. I love my awards and I'm proud of them and I certainly want more but I try not to think of them.

Favorites?

I'm probably the biggest fan of Carly Simon. Her songs are mostly soul and angst-y but I love them. I have lots of favorite books and movies but if I have to write a book - I'd like it to be like Katharine Graham's Personal History. My taste fluctuates- there was a time I was hooked on books written by Chinese authors then Indians. I've read all of the books of Amy Tan and Isabel Allende. I'm still trying to finish the books of Hilary and Bill Clinton and a biography of Ronald Reagan. I don't like sci-fi and books about unreal worlds. My nieces will probably hate me for this but I don't like Harry Potter. I guess I'm too much of a realist.

No comments: